Skip To Main Content

Work Permits

Work Permit Information for Minors Under 16 Years Old


Once a minor under 16 years old has the promise of a job, they must obtain a work permit before beginning that job. This includes students who are homeschooled. They must get a new permit every time they begin a new job until they reach 16 years old, even if they work for their parents.

In order to apply for a work permit, the minor must be:
  • enrolled in school
  • not habitually truant or under suspension; and
  • passing a majority of courses during the current grading period.

A copy of the Maine Work Permit Form can be downloaded here.  Once this form is completed and signed, the work permit application should be delivered to the superintendent’s office (Scarborough Town Hall, 259 US Route 1) with a copy of the minor’s birth certificate, passport or permanent resident card. You may also email this information to Melissa Booth ( If you have general questions please call Melissa at 207-730-4100.

The superintendent's office will forward the information to the Maine Department of Labor.  This process could take up to one week.  If the permit is in order, the MDOL will validate/approve the form. A staff member at the superintendent’s office will email a copy of the approved work permit to the student and the parent/guardian
who gave permission for the permit.

Minors should bring the approved work permit to their new employer.

A minor can have one active permit during the school year and two during the summer.

For more information about child labor laws, wages, hiring and firing:

Maine Department of Labor (enforces Maine child labor laws)
Bureau of Labor Standards
Wage and Hour Division

(TTY: Maine relay 711)